Announcements

Friday, January 26, 2024

Q&A: Geek Cutes


What is Geek Cutes?

Geek Cutes is a collection of 8 short love stories. Most of the protagonists are lesbians, some of whom are cisgender, while others are transgender. The stories span a variety of genres, including sci-fi, horror, superhero, and fantasy. The stories aren’t very deep, and mostly cover the early stages of the relationship. Therefore, they’re “Meet Cutes,” but for geeks, hence “Geek Cutes.” While the stories do contain some sexual situations, they are not explicit.


What stories does this collection contain?

(Key: TW=Trans Woman, CW=Cis Woman, TM=Trans Man)

Dungeon Therapy (CW/CW): A couple meets while playing an online RPG.

Gilded Cage (CW/TW): A teenage girl is locked in her room by bigoted parents.

Mother’s Day (CW/CW): A cop and an occultist must solve a murder together.

Fairy Dust (CW/TM): A fey kingdom is attacked by dragons.

Hero Worship (CW/CW): A woman falls in love with a superhero.

Think Tank (CW/TW): A deity gives the world an ultimatum.

Strangers in the Void (CW/CW): Two women meet during a power outage in a space station.

Vigilante (TW/TW): A masked woman fights crime in the streets.

 

Are there any content warnings I should be aware of before reading the book?

The story “Mother’s Day” contains a scene of horror that might be scary for some. “Hero Worship” has a scene involving a mass shooting. Some religious people might find “Think Tank” to be blasphemous. “Vigilante” contains a bit of violence, as well as mentions of suicide.


What inspired you to write this collection?

When I wrote the Bloodhunters series, I went to great lengths to use up any and all old notes I had, finishing incomplete stories and expanding on old ideas. However, some of those ideas just didn’t fit in the Bloodhunters universe. Some only worked in modern day, or involved magic and other supernatural concepts. I didn’t know where else to put these short stories, so I decided to release them in their own collection. Of course, while polishing off those stories, I kept coming up with ideas for new ones, so I had to write those as well.


What is your favorite story from Geek Cutes?

Probably Fairy Dust. I loved putting the mythology together. I wouldn’t mind writing more stories in this universe.


What is your least favorite story from Geek Cutes?

Vigilante. I don’t think it’s a bad story, but next to the other stories in this volume, it feels a little dull. As I explain in the author’s notes, it was originally going to go in a more “comic bookish” direction, but I decided to give it a more down-to-earth ending instead. Did I make the right call? You read it and let me know.


What’s your favorite line in the book?

“That implies the existence of a sour Jesus.” (Think Tank)


What challenges did you face when writing the book?

“Fairy Dust,” “Think Tank,” and “Vigilante” expanded on short stories I’d written years before, and it’s always difficult to recapture a story’s vibe after such a long break. Sometimes it’s pretty obvious where the break occurs, as the rest of the story almost feels like it was written by a different author. A challenge to you: When you read these three stories, see if you can guess where the break was.


Who designed your cover?

I designed and photographed it myself. My wife is a resin crafter, and she made the dice.

 

Is this a standalone collection, or part of a series?

It’s a bug hunt. Oh, sorry, I misread the question. This is a standalone collection. You do not need to read anything else first. One of the stories takes place in the same universe as Bloodhunters, but it doesn’t connect to those stories in any way. One of the stories has a sequel in Rainbow Nightmares, so if you’re going to read both, read Geek Cutes first.


Where can I buy this book?

It’s available on Amazon and several other e-retailers.


I have more questions.

Great! Check out my FAQ and see if I answer it there. If not, feel free to contact me on social media.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paperbacks Now Available

Want to read my books, but don't like electronics? Most of my books are now available in paperback. So far it's just on Amazon, but ...