Announcements

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Q&A: Rainbow Nightmares


What is Rainbow Nightmares?

Rainbow Nightmares is a collection of 13 short stories, featuring LGBTQ+ protagonists. The stories span genres such as horror, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, and superhero.


What stories does this collection contain?

(Key: TW=Trans Woman, G=Gay Man, NB=Non-Binary, P=Polyamorous, L=Lesbian)

Escapism (P, G): Four college students get trapped in an escape room.

Survivors (L): After a mysterious apocalypse, a woman searches for other survivors.

Third Shift (NB): An employee encounters strange beings in their office after work.

Forever Home (G): A kitten faces off against an evil specter.

Dixieland (L): A swarm of tiny creatures devastate the Earth.

Telethon (G): A supervillain requests donations to decide a hero’s fate.

Social Cues (TW): A socially-awkward college student is abducted by aliens.

Ray’s Personal Blog (G): A horror enthusiast is puzzled by a box of old comic books.

Traveler (NB): A body-swapping dimension-hopper must get through the day without arousing suspicion.

Justice (L): A superhero catches a villain in the middle of a crime… and they discuss politics.

Mutiny (NB/TW): A prison break occurs on a spaceship.

The Preservers (L): The last survivors of Earth are wary of their saviors.

Salvage (L): A salvage team must explore a derelict science vessel.


Are there any content warnings I should be aware of before reading the book?

Some of the stories contain violence, gore, and sexual assault.


What inspired you to write this collection?

When I was working on Geek Cutes, I kept getting ideas for stories that didn’t quite fit the romance theme of that collection.


What is your favorite story in Rainbow Nightmares?

Forever Home, because I’m a big cat lover.


What is your least favorite story in Rainbow Nightmares?

Mutiny. No real reason. It’s a solid story, it just doesn’t stand up against the others in this volume.


What’s your favorite line from the book?

“Why are you making glow-in-the-dark ferrets?” (Salvage)


What challenges did you face when writing the book?

I always have trouble writing characters who use they/them pronouns. It sends my spellchecker haywire, and I always mess up at least once. That said, some of my favorite characters I’ve written have been nb, so I have no regrets.


Who designed your cover?

I designed and photographed it myself. My wife is a resin crafter, and she made the dice.


Is this a standalone collection, or part of a series?

I consider this a spiritual successor to Geek Cutes, but most of the stories exist in their own universes. One story in Rainbow Nightmares is a sequel to a story from Geek Cutes. Still, you don’t need to read the one to understand the other.


Where can I buy this book?

It’s available on Amazon and several other e-retailers.


I have more questions.

Great! Check out my FAQ and see if I answer it there. If not, feel free to contact me on social media.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paperbacks Now Available

Want to read my books, but don't like electronics? Most of my books are now available in paperback. So far it's just on Amazon, but ...